Monday, February 26, 2007

Sarah's Palate Surgery






















Sarah's palate surgery was Tuesday, February 20th. I woke up around 2:00 AM that morning (after not really sleeping at all that night anyway). About 4:15 AM, I scooped Sarah out of her bed and put her in her carseat. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM. We got there around 5:10. The place was deserted. About 5:30, the person who ws supposed to check us in got there. We were taken to a pre-op room about 6:30 AM. Sarah was given her "happy juice" and proceeded to spit it back up. Great. She was not groggy at all. About 7:15, they came to take her to surgery. I went back to the waiting room to wait. I met some very nice families who were also waiting. The first family was from Beaumont. Their 4 year old daughter was having dental surgery. Another family had an 18 month old who was also having surgery. About 10:30, Sarah's surgery was done. Soon after that, I was taken to the recovery room. Sarah looked worse than I had expected. She screamed in pain. My poor baby. I rocked her in a rocking chair and she settled down. Grandma got there soon after I did. Of course, Sarah wanted Grandma to hold her so she did. About 2 hours later, we were taken to our room. The rest of the day is pretty much a blur. Sarah was in a lot of pain. She was on morphein most of day 1. My mom stayed most of the day, which was a great help. About 7:00, she left to go get KAtie from Aunt Wendy and Uncle Jim's. Sarah slept most of the day and night. She woke up a few times, but was given pain medinine and quickly went back to sleep.

Day 2: Sarah was a bit more alert today. She mostly slept in my arms and ws still on a lot of pain medicine.

Day 3: Sarah was much more alert today. We went to the playroom and played for a little while. We also took long walks around the hospital wing. She only had morphein a couple times today.

Day 4: Sarah was very much back to her old self. She was very chatty today and even sang to me. However, she is still not eating or drinking so we are stuck here. My mom, daughter, Katie, brother, Jim, and sister-in-law, Wendy surprised us with a visit tonight. It was so nice to see them. Sarah was thrilled to see all of her "people".

Day 5: Sarah finally started eating and we got to come home. We left the hospital around 3:00 PM. Sarah was so happy to be home. She woke up twice and I gave her some pain medicine.

2 comments:

Mom to brown eyed kids said...

Hi Sarah-- Thanks for the link to your blog. I got it from the Forever Families list. We have a little guy who was adopted from Guatemala. He is going to have palate surgery this year. Check out our blog, but please do not pass it along without permission. www.lifewiththelittles.blogspot.com

Calico Sky said...

So glad she is recouperating nicely! I hae prayed for her often.