
12 days ago Sarah had her palate closed. She is just about back to "normal" now. She will again eat almost anything and is sleeping through the night. She is off her pain medicine and doing well. We had our first follow-up appointment with her surgeon on Thursday and he said she is doing well. He said it will take about 6 weeks for her soft palate to soften, which is when we should begin speech therapy.
The day of Sarah's surgery, she was much worse off than I had anticipated. By day 2, she was much better and by day 4 she was back to her old self, except she did not eat or drink. I hope by sharing our story, others who are considering adopting a child with a cleft lip and palate will go forward. So many people on the listserves say that they cannot handle the surgeries or speech therapy. I think the vast majority of you can. Sarah is such a blessing and I am so thankful she is my daughter.
Today is my nephew's birthday. Charles is 8 today. Happy Birthday, Charles!! We love you!!
Today is my nephew's birthday. Charles is 8 today. Happy Birthday, Charles!! We love you!!





1 comment:
Sarah is such a cutie pie!!! Thanks for sharing this with me, Toktogul's lip and palate have been repaired but we know there is more work yet to be done. Like you, I think many people can handle cleft if they'd only open their hearts. We have close friends with a son with cleft so have a good understanding going into it about what lies ahead, and I think because we knew them this seemed like a very easily handled issue. You have beautiful daughters who no doubt have beautiful hearts as well :-) Cindy
Post a Comment